Countries with the best standard of living are turning atheist. That shift offers a glimpse into the world’s future.
Religious people are annoyed by claims that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.
The view that religious belief will give way to atheism is known as the secularization thesis. The specific version that I favor (1) is known as the existential security hypothesis. The basic idea is that as people become more affluent, they are less worried about lacking for basic necessities, or dying early from violence or disease. In other words they are secure in their own existence. They do not feel the need to appeal to supernatural entities to calm their fears and insecurities.
- withinmypopdivine likes this
- interestingwhelp likes this
- davincisbarber likes this
- coffeeandadanish likes this
- sigillum-diabolii likes this
- arkaeya likes this
- rat2rrj likes this
- pastaistheopiateofthemasses likes this
- axioa reblogged this from deconversionmovement and added:
- show-me-your-lewd-self reblogged this from deconversionmovement
- darthheretic reblogged this from deconversionmovement
- onlyhomosapiens likes this
- coffee-n-cats reblogged this from deconversionmovement and added:
- madjimbeau likes this
- deconversionmovement posted this