“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. ”
— John Adams
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
— Treaty of Tripoli
What other founding fathers can you quote besides John Adams? Most of the founding fathers were atheists or deists.
Academic historians are bemused at times by the inquiries they get from people with no previous interest in the nation’s beginnings: what did America’s creators really believe?
“The Faith (and doubts) of our Fathers.” Economist. 17 December 2011: n. page. Web. 23 Sep. 2012. <http://www.economist.com/node/21541718>.
The article supports my statement; of course you can’t get that from the snippet above, but I feel that that is a proper introduction. It also gives a fair warning:
Between now and the 2012 presidential election, many pronouncements by the founding fathers—especially but not only on the subject of Christianity—will be parsed and dissected with passion by both sides…[R]eligious conservatives will point out that the revolution’s foot-soldiers were generally people of faith who would be shocked, for example, by the idea of banning prayer in schools.
Would you look at that? That’s exactly what you did. America isn’t a Christian nation; your religiocentrism is appalling. This is what the article says about people like me:
Liberals, keen to protect the American variety of secularism from what they see as a resurgence of zealotry, will stress the rationalist leanings of most of the revolution’s protagonists…
So, to put the nail in the coffin, why not quote our current President?
Somehow, somewhere along the way, faith stopped being used to bring us together and started being used to drive us apart. It got hijacked. Part of it’s because of the so-called leaders of the Christian Right, who’ve been all too eager to exploit what divides us.
I think that the right might worry a bit more about the dangers of sectarianism. Whatever we once were, we’re no longer just a Christian nation; we are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers.
— President Obama at a speech in June 2007
That about sums it up. Stop trying to wash our nation in the blood of Christ; we don’t appreciate it.
- allyjandro likes this
- privateconservatism reblogged this from only-conservative-here
- thenewenlightenmentage likes this
- abominationblueberry likes this
- professorofthaumology reblogged this from madscienceoverlord
- perennialash likes this
- religiousbondage reblogged this from coffee-n-cats
- coffee-n-cats reblogged this from thecurveinmyclavicle
- tarheelbred likes this
- only-conservative-here reblogged this from includesme and added:
- includesme reblogged this from only-conservative-here and added:
- thecurveinmyclavicle reblogged this from deconversionmovement
- keepmarchin-on reblogged this from deconversionmovement
- wordhord likes this
- lifeflowsbetterwithfreedom reblogged this from thurmansnotebook
- rrphiladelphia likes this
- whenitstrikesme likes this
- thurmansnotebook reblogged this from deconversionmovement
- justonegirlinohio likes this
- blindtricks likes this
- goddamntoothbrush likes this
- deducecanoe likes this
- madscienceoverlord reblogged this from deconversionmovement
- madscienceoverlord likes this
- deconversionmovement reblogged this from only-conservative-here and added:
- biognosis likes this
- sofarfromshameless likes this
- the-liberty-republican likes this
- thurmansnotebook likes this
- lisa4lotr likes this
- mamaatheist likes this
- two-trees-and-a-swing likes this
- enlightened-despot reblogged this from deconversionmovement
- highlandhare likes this
- breakthrough-by-design reblogged this from deconversionmovement
- loudmouthedleftist reblogged this from deconversionmovement
- 8bitmonkey likes this
- yatahuahua likes this
- actualwizard-radagastthebrown reblogged this from only-conservative-here and added:
- policygal likes this
- only-conservative-here posted this